Thursday, September 9, 2010

LAPD Shoots Knife Wielding Suspect

I was looking at the Fox News website a short while ago when I came across the following article. I wasn't originally planning on writing anything about it until the story was mentioned on Glenn Beck's radio show and I decided that if it's getting attention there, I might as well give it some as well. However, I can't find it on any national networks outside of Fox.

According to the reports, officer(s) with a bicycle unit with the LAPD were alerted to a man with a knife, threatening nearby people, at approximately 1 pm Tuesday afternoon close to MacArthur Park. Commands were given in both English and Spanish to drop the weapon, but instead, 37 year-old Guatemalan immigrant Manuel Jamines "raised the knife above his head and lunged at Officer Frank Hernandez, a 13-year veteran of the department". This report was corroborated by eyewitness accounts from six civilians, nine police personnel and two fire department staff, indicating Officer Hernandez fired twice "in immediate defense of life". Jamines died on the scene. Investigators recovered a 6-inch knife, covered in blood, at the scene but did not know where the blood came from.

A retired police officer called into Glenn's show and said that from his experience, "a suspect at 15 feet with a knife, unless you're extremely lucky, is going to kill you."

So what happened? Riots against the police, of course. Rioters chucked rocks at law enforcement and reporters. Twenty-two arrests were reported Tuesday night, and two less-than-lethal foam projectiles were fired into crowds.

I'm not racist in any ways, I have no problem with Hispanics, black, Muslims, any of that. But I'm sorry, this goes to show you exactly why our borders need to be given tighter security and more attention. If you look at violent crime in this nation, so many are perpetrated by illegal Hispanics (largely Mexican), largely Hispanic gangs, etc. Or how about the 72 murdered Mexican laborers recently found? Those who come to our country illegally (and I've known some of these people, so I'm fairly confident in "stereotyping") do not care about our country. They do not hold it as theirs, they see it as someone elses' to do with whatever they please. Again, I'm not knocking Hispanics. I'm knocking those Hispanics who commit crimes, not only in my homeland but in theirs.

LA Times op-ed
LA Times news article

No comments:

Post a Comment